Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

When I got home from work last night, I found that my dog

Customer Question

When I got home from work last night, I found that my dog was limping and has a small hole on his back leg. I'm not sure what happened while I was gone as my step-dad was home during the evening. He's a Norwegian elkhound and this breed has a history of getting cysts but I don't think that is what it wrong. Any ideas of what this could be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I have to assume that Buddy's leg was traumatized and lacerated if the hole is accompanied by pain upon bending his leg. Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of this hole to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe the photo is attached now

Thank you. I see a dark spot but can't tell if it's a hole. Can you tell me if it looks like it penetrates completely through the skin? If so, Buddy will need that penetrating wound flushed out with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine and a broad spectrum antibiotic prescribed to be given by mouth.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does, and okay, thank you. I will let you know if and when his condition starts to get better.

Thank you for the additional information. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He's doing much better. I cleaned his wound, and he started to feel better towards the evening and was putting pressure on it again. Thank you for your assistance

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know .