Now if she didn't eat the ant killer (though most are in much lower doses then would cause our dogs bother) back on Sunday, we'd not assume that is causing Lily's current signs. Instead, we'd be more wary of this being related to a brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis (if she has been fed anything rich), parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).
With this all in mind and as long as your daughter doesn't think she has eaten anything harmful, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then she can consider treating Lily with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever she uses, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with Lily's vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if your daughter tries this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.
While we are waiting for the antacid to absorb and since Lily is a small breed (therefore having limited body reserves to tolerate profuse vomiting), we need to keep an eye on her energy levels. So, if she appears weak or lethargic at any point, we can try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto her gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up if need be.
Otherwise, once that antacid has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, we'd want to consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.
Since dehydration is a lass this small, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things your daughter can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want her to make sure Lily's eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when she lifts the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can both find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If she is seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).
Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. The ant bait isn't a likely suspect here especially with how long ago the exposure was and her not actually eating it. Still wth her being a small breed dog that has already vomited quite a bit, we do need to tread with care. So, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach at this point. If she cannot keep that or water down at any stage, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her local vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.
Please take care,
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )