Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a Staffordshire terrier, 5 years old, who has a film

Customer Question

I have a Staffordshire terrier, 5 years old, who has a white film covering his right eye and a partial white film covering his left eye. I have done vision tests on him and his vision does not seem to be impaired. Both eyes are also very red. The vet saw him for a hematoma in his ear and thought the hematoma was caused by him rubbing his eye. I have never seen him rub his eye. She prescribed Prednisone, which reduced the swelling in his ear yet left it deformed and did nothing for his eyes. I have very little faith in vets as zi have done a lot of research and often diagnosed my f=dogs before they have and they still charge me a high bill. I have even cured my dogs on my own despite their meds because they have misdiagnosed my dog's problem. I am at a loss for the eye condition though.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Staffordshire terrier's name?
Customer: Lugey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lugey?
Customer: No, she wouldn't even touch him because I felt she was afraid of him even though he is very sweet
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 8 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with Lugey - I'll do my best to help.

Without being able to see the eye in person and check a couple of tests, I won't be able to diagnose Lugey but I certainly can educate you on what the possible diagnoses could be.

It's not surprising to me that the prednisone did not help his eyes, as typically any eye problem is going to require medication to be applied directly to the eye itself. It's also normal for an ear to scar up after having had a hematoma - the only way to minimize the scarring after a hematoma is to correct the hematoma surgically when it first appears. Even with surgical correction, it's still normal to have a thickened or wrinkly ear pinna from scar tissue - that is mostly unavoidable.

Bloodshot (red) eyes +/- white haziness are a pretty nonspecific changes, meaning that they aren't indicative of any one disease in particular. In other words, a lot of things could cause these signs. In a younger dog, I'm typically looking for the less severe problems like allergic, irritant or infectious conjuncitivits (aka: pink eye or an eye cold). White mucus is generally more indicative of irritation or allergic conjunctivitis - either from irritating substances in the air or allergens. Green or yellow mucus usually signals an infection - viral and/or bacterial. More serious problems that can cause bloodshot eyes would be things like corneal ulcers (a scratch on the eye), foreign bodies (something stuck in/on the eye), dry eye, glaucoma, or uveitis (inflammation of the inside of the eye). In order to diagnose a corneal ulcer, we apply a stain to the eye that sticks to areas of the cornea where the normal barrier function has been lost. Ocular foreign bodies can be difficult to diagnose, but they usually cause a characteristic type of ulcer that can be found with the staining procedure I described. Sometimes we have to sedate the pet to look under the lids for the foreign body. If both of his eyes are red, then it's a bit less likely to be an ulcer or foreign body, as these usually only affect one eye. Dry eye, glaucoma, and uveitis would be a bit less likely in younger dog but they are possible. Dry eye is caused by inflammation in the tear gland that interferes with tear production - it's a very common disease in middle aged to older small breed dogs. Glaucoma is high pressure inside the eye, and again is usually a disease of middle aged to older pets but it can sometimes strike younger pets too. Glaucoma can easily cause redness and a white discoloration to the eye. If your vet suspects glaucoma, they can measure the eye pressures easily in the hospital. Uveitis (inflammation of the inside of the eye) is an uncommon diagnosis, but frequently it's caused by "whole body" infections or gets classified as "idiopathic" meaning that we don't know what caused it. Dogs can also have benign corneal dystrophy, which is a change in the cornea that causes a white discoloration - sometimes just in spots and sometimes diffusely over the entire eye. It can be caused by a problem with the water balance in the corneal endothelium or due to accumulation of lipid or mineral deposits in the cornea. There is no treatment for corneal dystophy, as typically it is a benign process. In any case, in a young healthy pet, bloodshot/red eyes frequently signal irritation, allergies, or a mild infection, however it could also be due to dry eye, glaucoma, an ulcer, or corneal dystrophy. It's always best to consult your veterinarian, as some of the things that I described can be potentially vision threatening. In my hospital we treat all eye problems as emergencies - if owners call with eye problems we try to get them seen that day or the next day at the very latest.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)