jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I have a question about my dog having puppies she does not

Customer Question

I have a question about my dog having puppies she does not have the puppies around her and her breasts are really really swollen what should I do is there anything I can do for her because she's crying and they look like they're going to burst please help me an answer this question
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 8 months ago.

Hi jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What do you mean she does not have the puppies around her?

Did she lose all the puppies?

Or is the circumstances something else?

When did she have puppies?

What food is she being fed?

Does she have access to water all the time?

Hi again. i was hoping to get some responses back before answering. However, I don't want you to wait for an answer. If the mom is not nursing any more no matter the reason, there are ways to reduce the milk production quicker. You can help dry up a dog's milk by withholding food for 24 hours (for small tiny dogs only withhold food for 12 hours) and limit her water intake to about a cup of water per 8 pounds for a few day. When you start her back on her food, only give her half her normal amount the first day and a normal portion the second day. However, it can take months for her breasts to appear more like they did before pregnancy. That should help reduce the milk in the breasts and ease her discomfort. It is better to not apply any warm compresses. Cool compresses may help a bit but any stimulation of the breast may cause milk leakage which will cause the breast to produce more milk.

If the pups are only away for a day or so, you will want to express the milk from the breasts so she doesn't stop producing milk for them Let me know if there is more information you wish to give to me.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
jadedangel57

Just a quick followup to see how things are going with your girl. By now the milk production should be stopped if she was no longer nursing. It will take a few weeks before you see the teats look more like they did before she got milk in. I hope you will take this opportunity to rate as well.