Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has had laryngeal paralysis time and is failing. I

Customer Question

My dog has had laryngeal paralysis for some time and is failing. I need to know if he is in pain or miserable.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog Jackson. This is a tough disease to have. Some dogs may live for a year or years with mild laryngeal paralysis but if your dog is doing very poorly, then this is a different situation. It isn't necessarily a painful situation, but it can I imagine be a miserable one, because it causes a difficulty to breathe, which you can imagine can become incredibly distressing (and eventually life threatening). I am going to link to an article on this condition for you: There are surgical procedures that can be performed on these guys, but if that isn't an option for you, and your pet is struggling to breathe, then you may be placed in a difficult situation of making the decision on whether or not it is time to let your dog go.