Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Woke up to dog vomit and diarrhea this morning. Has continue

Customer Question

Woke up to dog vomit and diarrhea this morning. Has continue throughout the day. At what point should I worrying?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Karen,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How is Trigger in himself other than the vomiting and diarrhoea? Still quite bright or depressed and not wanting his food?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attitude is normal but tired and hiding a lot. Not wanting food, drinking water. A lot of hiding and sleeping.

Hello again Karen,

Sorry to hear Trigger is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

" At what point should I worrying? " : From what you have told me so far I think it would be reasonable to have him checked over by a vet if symptoms continue for a further 24 hours or if you start to note any deterioration of any sort. Vomiting and diarrhoea are quite common in the dog and most cases are not so serious, this sort of situation can occur where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners try while waiting for their vet's appointment, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much for a dog of your one's size a couple of teaspoons twice a day should be enough.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Trigger deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Karen,

I am just checking back in to see how Trigger is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his gastroenteritis ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blood in stool now going to vet in the am.

Thanks for the update ...

If there is blood present then going to the vet is now the best thing to do, please let me know how you get on ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will thank you so much for checking back. I appreciate it

No problem, even though this is via the internet these sorts of cases are always a concern to me ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Trigger. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers