Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My dog pulled a blanket thru her crate and ate part of it.

Customer Question

My dog pulled a blanket thru her crate and ate part of it. There was bloody vomit everywhere. i took her to our vet, and he gave her a cerenia injection, a famotidine injection, and sent us home with medication to begin taking in 6 and 12 hours. I had X-rays done and the vet said she had a large amount of gas in her stomach, but he said sometimes you don't see a blanket that may be in her tummy. he didn't see anything today, but he told me not to give her water for 6 hours or food for 12 and if she was vomiting tomorrow afternoon to bring her back in bc its probably the blanket in her stomach. she won't stop crying for water and she has thrown up twice. a vet tech friend of mine said she shouldn't have thrown up at all with cerenia and to take her back into the vet right away. my vet said to bring her back if she's throwing up tomorrow. so i don't know what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear about the predicament your pet is in right now with a foreign body ingestion.

Your friend is somewhat right in the fact that if a pets continues to vomit on Cerenia that there is a chance that the foreign object is still obstructing here. But I wouldn't be too quick to use just that one parameter to say that she is in dire trouble right now. If she is crying for water then I would recommend giving her maybe 1/8-1/4 cup of water and see what happens. If she vomits up the water then there is a chance the blanket is causing an obstruction. Also if your pet is having extreme lethargy, pale pink gums, low CRT (capillary refill time- pressing of finger on gums to see how many seconds it takes to return to pink color), extreme abdominal pain, then these are all parameters to consider when deciding if this is an emergency situation. If she fits most of that criteria then I agree with your friend it is in the best interest of your pet to get seen right away because your pet isn't stable and should be place don IV fluids immediately to help maintain hydration and an exploratory surgery has to be considered if repeat x-rays show the same gas filled stomach as seen before.

How long ago was her x-ray done?

A lot of times pets with possible foreign body ingestion can wait the extra 12 hrs or so to first stabilize the pet before drastic measures have to be taken so don't feel bad if you cannot take her to the ER tonight and have to wait until the morning. As long as she doesn't have any life threatening things going on right now, which I don't see any so far based on your description, then it is ok to handle things first thing in the morning.

- Dr. H

Hi I was checking in again to see if the recommendations given were received and to see how your pet is doing this morning. I see you had a chance to review my initial reply and perhaps have already taken your pet in for further treatment. If the recommendation and advice you received was to your satisfaction I will ask if you could take the time to leave me a rating by clicking on the "Rate My Expert" button at the top of the page. This is how I receive credit for helping you with your pet concerns.

I hope all is well and feel free to drop me a line to let me know how things are going with your pet. Thanks and take care.

Best regards,

Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?