Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

She is coughing like she has something hung in her throat.

Customer Question

she is coughing like she has something hung in her throat. been doing this for 2 days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: gizmo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gizmo?
Customer: no other then she is old
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did the cough just start 2 days ago?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How old is she?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
early sunday morning when she started. no pre existing about 20 or more about 12 pds. no other symptoms

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no thanks. i take her to her vet

Friend, a hacking cough can be caused by many different medical conditions. The fact that Gizmo is an older dog it is important to rule out an underlying heart or lung disease. For this reason I would strongly recommend a hands on examination by family vet to listen to her lungs and heart. In the meantime you can start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter