Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My black poodle has a large mass on s rear p and he limps

Customer Question

My black poodle has a large mass on his rear hip and he limps and whines when he walks, he also laying around alot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short.

I am sorry to hear that your pet has a large mass on his hip area that seems to be causing him pain. Masses around the joints that are causing any issues with mobility to this degree should be evaluated by having a fine needles aspirate or biopsy of the mass and also x-rays of the hip would be warranted here to check and see if any bone involvement is there. This is the best course of action for your pet to get to the bottom of what this mass is exactly.

You can also inquire with your vet about getting Humphrey started on anti-inflammatory and pain medications to help with palliative pain management so that he isn't in so much discomfort. I like to use Rimadyl (Carprofen) and Tramadol for pets to achieve good pain management until more is known about what this mass is.

Is there anything else you wish to discuss or any questions about my recommendations so far?

- Dr. H

If you have no further questions or concerns and the information that I have given has proven helpful to you and your pet please feel free to leave me a rating by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button at the top of the page. Thanks for your feedback and I hope that you are able to get Humphrey the treatments and diagnostics recommended in my earlier post. Take care!

- Dr. H