Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog is really wobbly. He is laying down right now How do

Customer Question

my dog is really wobbly. He is laying down right now How do I tell if it's something serious?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He came in from outside and was just standing and wobbling..I got him up on the bed..but it was like he was drunk or something
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is she back to normal?

4- Has this happen before?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. He is a year and a half he is sleeping 4. No 5. He threw up twice in the last week or so

1- Can you get him up and see if he is still wobbly?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is standing but still wobbly. His gums look normal. I don't have a thermometer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should I try to get him to eat something?

1- Did he get into anything?

2- What breed is he?

3- These symptoms just started quickly?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not that I know of...we just sprayed weeds but with vinegar..we have mushrooms that were growing in th yard that I just recently pulled..but I cant imagine he would eat those....he is half golden retriever, half rottweiler
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they started quickly I think...not that I can tell

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, there are many medical conditions that would cause a dog to become wobbly. In a young dog we need to rule out things like: Toxicity, heart disease, infections (fever), ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes.

Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. On history alone it will be very difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. I would strongly recommend having him checked today by a veterinarian for a hands on examination. Treatment will be based on exam and any test results.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!