Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog is sleeping a lot and walking very slowly drinking a

Customer Question

My dog is sleeping a lot and walking very slowly drinking a lot of water and barely eating peeing a lot pooping not as often I am just worried she is not herself playing and running around
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear that your dog is showing these symptoms. There are a wide variety of causes of increased water intake in dogs and a first morning urine sample evaluation (collected in a tupperware container, refrigerated if more than an hour old), examination, and bloodwork is warranted to determine the origin or these symptoms.

Differentials for the symptoms include a urinary tract infection (even without overt signs of blood in urine), kidney disease, bladder stones/ crystals, liver issues, endocrine disease such as Cushing's, diabetes. Once diagnostics are done hopefully an answer as far as cause can be determined and appropriate therapy can be initiated but gathering more information is the key to getting her treated and hopefully resolve the symptoms currently experiencing.

My primary concern with her symptoms is diabetes so with her progressive symptoms I would strongly urge a veterinary exam to hone in on the cause and get her relief

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!