Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

55 lb. Golden Retriever just consumed 3 cakes (.6 oz) each

Customer Question

55 lb. Golden Retriever just consumed 3 cakes (.6 oz) each of yeast with 1 Tbs, Sugar and 1/4 cup of warm milk that was set out for a bread recipe. Is there a yoxicity problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The primary concern is the yeast in the recipe causing expansion in the stomach and bloat. If they are 0.6 ounces each and your dog is 55 pounds this should not be an issue because it will not be enough to be harmful.

I would, however, get your Golden on a 15+ minute walk to help move the yeast out of the stomach and metabolize it more readily. If there are any concerns that this might be a larger quantity though you may want to consider inducing vomiting to remove it from the stomach. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If you do not elect to induce vomiting please monitor for signs of bloat which include swollen abdomen, unable to get comfortable/ restless, vomiting followed by vomiting with dry retching and if any of these symptoms are seen please see your veterinarian asap.

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. Again with the size of the cakes I am not terribly concerned about bloat with the size of your dog but knowing what to monitor for in case of emergency is ideal

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman