Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is over 18 years old. She weighs about 27 lbs. I'm

Customer Question

My dog is over 18 years old. She weighs about 27 lbs. I'm not sure if she is "ready". She paces constantly and is unstable on her feet. She has trouble walking and falls going down or up the one step into the living room. But, she eats fine and has complete control of her bowels. Is she in pain? Thank you for your help. This is extremely hard. Her hips and shoulders are extremely loose.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr B and would like to help you today.Is she on any treatment at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now at her age, we do need to tread with care. It is highly likely that her struggles on the stairs and wobbliness are due to arthritis and is painful for her. As well, the restlessness could be a sign of the same but may also be a sign of dementia or mental confusion for her

With these in mind, it is worth trying some supportive care to see if we can get her moving better and feeling better before we call it a day. To start, since you didn't mention your glucosamine dose or whether it has chondoritin, I would just say that we usually give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, you can adjust that too if need be.

Otherwise, I would note that you could consider starting her on an a natural anti-inflammatory like Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils. These can be helpful in soothing sore joints but also are a good support for nerves and brain tissue if there is old age degeneration present. These can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for her, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be supportive measure you could consider for your lass.

To help with any mental confusion, you could also try her with a supplement to support her brain function. Examples of dog specific supports we often use for these cases include Aktivat or Senilife

Finally, since it does sound like she may really be struggling, I’d note that it’d be ideal to speak to her vet about this and potentially have a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc) or steroid dispensed for her. These can really remove discomfort from aged joints for our dogs an can give them a new lease on life. So, this is worth considering before we call it a day.

Overall, we do always need to be careful with out older dogs when they start showing these kinds of signs. Still, I would suggest trying the above if you have only used Glucosamine up until now. That way we can see if we can give her some better quality life and help her comfortably spend as much time as possible with you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you. I will get her started on the meds you recommended.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.