Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Was at the beach yesterday and was eating sand. he is

Customer Question

was at the beach yesterday and was eating sand. he is drinking, and vomiting it up. mostly water with some sand and sometimes something solid white and slimy like cooked egg whites. puked up last night's dinner, hasn't eaten a thing since
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** year old boston terrier.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fang?
Customer: diabetic and has chronic pancreatitis. no insulin today, as his sugar was very low. right now it's at 14.5, was down to 1.3 last night, up at 3.6 this am
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago since his last vomit? Did that one still have sand?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
kept a bit of water down last night after 8pm, but drinking slowed. Yes, tiny bits of sand in that last one. Gums are black, (part of his markings) so gum test difficult. gums sticky. Doesn't appear to have much tenderness, but he's very lethargic, so could just be not responding...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

First, if his gums are naturally pigmented, we can roll the lower eyelid down to check mucus membrane color if need be. And hopefully we'd find that rosy pink for him. That aside, we do need to keep an eye on those sticky gums since they are an early stage sign of dehydration creeping in. But if we can soothe his nausea and get him settled, we'd hope to be able to address that.

Otherwise, we can plan to start supportive care to see if we can help soothe his stomach and encourage this sand to pass out the other end without damaging his gut. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ If you can find these as a liquid preparation (or you could alternatively use Milk of Magnesia - 0.5tsp every 8 hours), these would be ideal as they will coat the gut at the same time it reduces nausea. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that is on board and he is settled, we'd want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran to the meals. The fiber in these will further encourage any sand to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help the sand slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Again we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma from the sand and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to settle his stomach and encourage this sand to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and all settles, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods passed the material without bother. Of course, any of those red flag signs and we'd want him seen urgently for assessment, injectable gut safe pain relief and anti-nausea medication, gastroproctecants +/- enemas to get this out of his system and settle this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
many thanks for your reply. i was out of the house yesterday, and therefor wasn't able to answer. We had to take Fang to the vet, as by yesterday am he was in rough shape. ...all was as you said, except his xray showed his tum was full of air. he spent the day at the in care, on anti-vomit meds and IV fluids and was able to eat when he got home. In the morning today he was ravenous, had a big, sandy poo and was all better. Thanks for your advice, it was spot-on. Wish I had tried the pepto earlier...would have saved the pain of a twisting stomach, and $1000.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome,

The poor love. Still, I am glad to hear that he responded to treatment and we are seeing that sand leaving out the other end now. Hopefully, Fang has learned his lesson about sand and will refrain from giving us any more scares for a good wee while.

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?