Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

He's been making a hacking sound all afternoon. He has s

Customer Question

He's been making a hacking sound all afternoon. He has his tail down and is acting like he's sick. Not sure if it's something stuck in his throat or poison. I took him to a park today and he was eating grass
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: No. Just grass
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He's a ***** *****
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your ***** ***** boy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. As you can imagine, there are a few possible causes for these types of symptoms. Probably the most common cause for these symptoms is kennel cough (or more recently known as canine infectious cough) which is caused by a number of infectious organisms, but mainly by Bordetella bronchiseptica. This causes a hacking/retching cough and a lot of discomfort in the trachea (wind pipe). It can often sound as though there is something stuck in your dog's throat, and sometimes even sounds like a goose honk. So hopefully your boy has had his bordetella vaccine. He would also have had to have been around other dogs with the bacteria too in order to catch it.

Other possible causes include laryngitis/pharyngitis from a treat or bone (or even from chasing a stick if your boy does this) damaging the back of his mouth. We also even have to consider there being a foreign body back there - as in there could even potentially actually BE something stuck in his throat. A piece of grass could potentially do this yes!

You are best getting your boy checked over tomorrow if you can. Your Vet will check your boy's mouth to make sure all his teeth ok and try and visualize the back of the throat, but this can be difficult in a conscious dog. If he or she suspects inflammation of the throat or a foreign body, then they will likely want to sedate your boy or give him an anaesthetic in order to have a good look back there as well as possibly take an xray or two. If all other symptoms point to kennel cough, then a course of an appropriate antibiotic will sort this out for him pretty quickly!

For this evening, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully he is fine over night. If so - do take him in to your regular vet tomorrow morning to follow up on this. In the meantime, also make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.