Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog has diarrhea and won't eat, I gave m some Pedialyte

Customer Question

My dog has diarrhea and won't eat, I gave him some Pedialyte and imodium in a dropper now he is throwing up stomach acids he looks weak
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Bichon mix that has just come through to me. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Your boy's symptoms are definitely very concerning and there are quite a number of possible causes for these symptoms as you can probably imagine. This could potentially be due to anything from an acute gastroenteritis, to intestinal parasites, a toxicity or poisoning, or even an endocrine issue or internal organ problem. You are going to need to continue to keep a very close eye on your boy for now if you can. You are best to with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can try him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for a few days. You need to continue to encourage him to drink, and you can offer him the pedialyte still, however plain water is absolutely fine as well. If he turns his nose up, then you could make up a chicken broth for him as well to see if that will tempt him. If he isn't drinking, or isn't able to keep water down, then he will become very dehydrated very quickly, so if this is the case, then you are best to get him seen straight away if you can.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Give he has had vomiting now as well, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here:

All the best with your boy. You can stop the immodium now, but perhaps try the Pepcid and encourage him to drink if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.