Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog (mini foxy) has been choking and dry reaching years

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my dog (mini foxy) has been choking and dry reaching for some years now but it has now escalated to choking, then heavy breathing and now he has started choking and squealing at high pitch then falling over, it's quite distressing to see as a pet owner
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Otis and he's 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Otis?
Customer: apparently he has a heart murmur and his heart has been beating rapidly so my local vet gave him heart tablets, but it's been a week and there is no change to the choking or the heart beat
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has Otis's vet done any tests besides diagnose his murmur?

Can you tell me which medications he is on specifically?

Where they only started a week ago?

Does he seem more prone to these signs when excited or active?