Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

He's been vomiting on and off since he had a dental early

Customer Question

He's been vomiting on and off since he had a dental early Thursday morning, so 3 1/2 days ago. He also has bloody and mucousy stool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, I think it's from the anesthesia that he had to have to get his dental
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Crusoe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Crusoe?
Customer: He weighs about 5 pounds, I have had him on chicken baby food, and boiled chicken after he started throwing out a couple days ago and then stopped. That is what our vet told us to do when I called and told her what was going on. The vets office is closed now, and I just want to be sure that I don't need to take into the emergency vet tonight. He has been drinking water. He seems to be OK by his demeanor, but the first two days his eyes were glazed over, and he wouldn't eat until the night of the second day. He vomited the water that he drank the first day, but then seem to be doing better. Last night, he vomited several times probably 3 to 4 times during the night, it was mostly liquidy watery. I gave him chicken this morning when it seemed he stopped vomiting, but he just threw that up.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear about your little one. The stress of a dental cleaning can definitely trigger gi upset in some dogs, especially tiny ones as yours is. If he is on antibiotics or pain medications this can definitely exacerbate the vomiting/ bloody stools

I can give you some basic guidelines for today in combination from what your veterinarian has advised but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon). This can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach
- Wait 12 hours to feed again to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools
- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting. The chicken baby food should be alright but really very small amounts at a time to test the stomach only, perhaps 1 teaspoon at a time
- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:
- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman