Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dogs tail is all of a sudden staying in the down position

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

There is a condition called "limber tail" where the tail suddenly hangs straight down. The dog won't wag the tail, but otherwise the dog will seem pretty normal, and eat and drink normally. This usually goes away after a few days to a week. We are not sure what causes it. It sometimes happens after a period of a lot of exercise.

Other reasons for the tail to hang down is an injury to the nerves of the tail, or a broken tail. Usually with a broken tail there is swelling and a lot of pain.

Giving anti inflammatory medication such as aspirin, meloxicam or carprophen may help with limber tail, but do not give Tylenol, Advil, ibuprofen, or Aleve.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you could see my answer! Let me know if this was helpful and how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog's tail doing?