Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My daughter's 7 month old puppy died last night. It looks

Customer Question

My daughter's 7 month old puppy died last night. It looks like it had eaten a bag of Cheetos. Could the Cheetos have caused the death, or was it more likely a stroke or heart attack?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola B and I am licensed veterinarian. I am so so sorry for your loss..I know who and your daughter must be heartbroken:-( It is most likely that his death was due to the Cheetos.. Any food that contains a dye such as cheetos, when eaten in a large quantity can be highly toxic to dogs. Also, given that Cheetos contains a higher fat content (which dogs cannot handle well), eating this may have caused an acute inflammation in the pancreas or intestinal tract that was fatal to him.. If he was an energetic puppy before this with no signs of heart disease (such as getting tired easily, coughing, general lethargy), this is especially more likely. If you got him from a breeder, I would consider calling them to let them know and ask if any genetic issues have been noted in the line.. Once again, I am so sorry for your loss; accidents do happen especially with overly curious puppies. Please let me know if you I can help answer any more questions for you.

Hello again I am just checking to make sure I answered all your questions about your puppy? Again I'm sorry for your loss. Please remember to take the time to rate my answer so I may receive credit and rating information for assisting you with your question:) thanks so much