Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

3 week old puppy is constipated. She is solely on mother's

Customer Question

3 week old puppy is constipated. She is solely on mother's milk. She strains to go but produces nothing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Scarlett
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scarlett?
Customer: Normal puppy
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

​What makes you think she's constipated?

What breed is she?

Are there other littermates?

Is this moms first litter?

How long do you think she's been constipated?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She has strained to go all day with no results. She is a Weimaraner, only 2 in litter. Other pup is fine. Mother's first litter. Just noticed problem today.
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.
​At this point, because of her young age, there's really nothing we can give her to help with the constipation.

Something you can do would be to try giving her a bath in warm water and then massaging her anus with a warm wash cloth. This can sometimes stimulate them t defecate.

If that doesn't work and she still hasn't defecated by tomorrow, then give your regular vet a call. They may decide that they want to do an enema on her. The only reason I don't suggest you try that is because at such a young age, the rectum in a puppy is very delicate and the chance for intestinal perforation is pretty high, so it's best to leave it to the experts.

Usually though, the warm bath does the trick.

I hope this helps.