Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

All of a sudden after a run our 5 year old black lab seemed

Customer Question

All of a sudden after a run our 5 year old black lab seemed to be having a seizure, he couldn't stand and was stiff all over. I got him on his bed a massage him looking for problems . His stomach was hard , and he has diarrhea . He seem to of relaxed now and will come when called .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Russ
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Russ?
Customer: Very active lab .Lacrosse ball dog, gets lots of exercise
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You appear to have described a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is defined as focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity involving any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. When seizures first rise between the age of 1-5 years, idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy is most often diagnosed.

Russ doesn't need to see a vet unless another seizure arises within 24 hours. This would be called clustering and can presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't stop and would require a vet to heavily sedate or anesthetize Russ. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Russ's vet will need all the information you can gather before deciding if anticonvulsant medication should be prescribed. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) seizure monthly before considering anticonvulsive drugs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?