Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 6 pound Pomeranian suffered a traumatic injury, force,

Customer Question

Our 6 pound Pomeranian suffered a traumatic injury, blunt force, to his right eye. He was on a pain killer 2x daily from Saturday to Thursday. When we took him in they also detected heart murmur. Yesterday afternoon he began yelling whenever he was picked up. It doesn't appear to be related to the head/eye trauma. He yelps when lifted like it hurts inside his rib cage and he is walking around very tentatively with a hunched posture.
We also changed his whole environment, he moved from Texas to Colorado, and had a change in diet. My daughter had him and fed him Beneful, I feed my dogs Earthborn Holistics. I don't know what is causing the problems but the poor little dog seems to be in pain.
Thanks,
Kit
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so very sorry to hear about your little one. It sounds like he has had a very eventful month! My primary concern is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy. It is possible it is a neck issue related to the original injury and the pain medication was masking his initial discomfort.

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to return to your veterinarian and have him evaluated for this new development. Then your vet can diagnose the issue and reinstitute pain medication or any other medications deemed appropriate. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the neck and back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the neck and back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort. Often what is happening is being picked up under the arms or chest causes compression of the lower neck and back which results in pain. My dogs definitely can cry out as you describe if picked up in this way as well due to chronic pain

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!