Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My ten yr old whippit scrapped s right front paw loosing one

Customer Question

My ten yr old whippit scrapped his right front paw loosing one nail.This occurred two weeks ago. It is still red with some coagulated blood around the toe area.
What interventions should I employ.
Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Nick, while it's difficult for me to assess Kensey's toe from afar, I have to assume that paronychia (nail bed infection) has arisen if that toe is still inflamed. This usually occurs when there is still a portion of nail imbedded in the nail bed which is trapping bacteria underneath it. That portion may be visible upon careful inspection or, instead, buried in the nail bed. If so it needs to be removed and that requires a short-acting anesthetic because the nailbed is quite painful. Once removed, these toes usually normalize without additional care.

If all of the nail is truly gone, a paronychia can be addressed conservatively by having Kensy stand in a solution of chlorhexidine (over the counter Hebiclens) twice daily and by administering a broad spectrum antibiotic such as cephalexin or amoxicillin/clavulanate. These are prescription drugs available through Kensey's vet, however. Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of this toe to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.