Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

Our dog is pooping blood and vomiting she has had emergency

Customer Question

Our dog is pooping blood and vomiting she has had emergency care last week, seemed to recover fully and now is having the same symptoms as before. The food has remained a constant same as she got at the vet, we continued hers meds as directed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Oh yes it is a mess!!
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: We have given her the same food the vet gave
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She has been hiding under the bed lately this is not normal behavior for her
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Oh my, this is always highly concerning when a patient has a relapse. I have a few additional questions to help provide you with the best answer I can.

Were you provided with a diagnosis or was your dog just treated as if this was hemorrhagic gastroenteritis?

Was testing done such as lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check and stool check)? And any abnormalities found?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Treated as the hemorrhagic gast.Had x rays done because I was concerned you had an obstruction and wanted to rule it out.She was wormed to rule out paracitesShe had a normal decal float
Normal CDC (I think) is that a blood?
She was hospitalized for 48 hours had anti diareah and commuting meds and an IV
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She had :)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Fecal float :)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Anti vomiting meds
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My fingers are not on point today.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Everything was negative. The one thing we didn't check for was the test that could potentially diagnose cancer
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

Very helpful information. Thank you. Great initial therapy and excellent to deworm as a just-in-case.

It is time to reassess what is going on. Most dogs with hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) only have it once and not have a relapse in a week. That makes HGE highly unlikely to be the cause. It is important to do a bit more testing today and try to narrow down the cause. And, unfortunately, it also sounds like she needs to be seen again today for therapy. I would highly advocate repeating a chemistry profile with electrolytes (we need to check her pancreas, liver, kidneys and screen the electrolytes for Addison's disease although some dogs do not yet have the electrolyte problems that come with this disease and only the corticosteroid part; so if the ER vet finds her to have a low heart rate then screening for Addison's would be important). As well, not a bad idea to do a repeat X-ray to confirm nothing has shifted to now reveal an obstruction. A complete blood count (CBC) can also be useful to confirm no bleeding issues (low platelets, anemia) and screen the white blood cells for types of inflammation.

Cancer is certainly possible but rarely causes such sudden onset vomit/diarrhea. It is usually more slow in onset with weight loss, and if this was the cause I would not have expected such a dramatic and good improvement for so many days. Most dogs with serious cancer to cause these symptoms would remain with low appetite, lethargic, etc.

So, bot***** *****ne is she needs to be seen today, especially with the bloody diarrhea. However, if she is otherwise doing great (eating, drinking with good attitude) and you think you can hold out to see your regular vet then that might not be bad to get that second opinion. Most ER vets are quite good at working through tough issues like this, though.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.