Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is 2 month old and she hurt her paw she doesn't want to

Customer Question

She is 2 month old and she hurt her paw she doesn't want to walk on it she try then lay down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sally
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sally?
Customer: No
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she hurt it? How did it happen?

Any swelling, sores, or wounds?

Any boney crunching or pain when you palpate it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Today I think she jump off the couch
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No swelling just pain
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

I am in the midst of typing my reply and will post shortly.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I hope I'm not paying for this because u didn't help me at all
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your patience (as you see I had quite a bit to type about Sally).

Based on your history and her age, we need to tread with care. If this injury was sustained jumping off the couch, we'd hope that this is just related to muscle strain/sprain. Though with her being so small, I do have to warn that we can see fractures even form jumps like this. So, we need to tread with care.

Now with this in mind, the first point of call if you have not already, will be to restrict her activity. Therefore, we don't want anymore jumping on/off furniture, using stairs or doing anything that would exacerbate any strain here. Furthermore, for the next few days, we'd want to rest her and just offer a few short lead walks in the garden to do her business and then back to resting.

As long as she is amenable, you can also warm compress her sore foot. This can be done a few times daily to just relax the muscles, soothe the soreness and help reduce any subtle swelling. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Finally, if she is very sore,then it would be ideal to have her local vet dispense a dog specific anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl, Previcox, Metacam, or Onsior. Otherwise for mild pain relief you can try a low dose of buffered aspirin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin). And if you do give aspirin, remember to give it with or after food and consider pre-treating with an antacid (ie Pepcid, Zantac).

Overall, based on your description, we'd be less worried about nerve damage but would be concerned about sprains and bruising causing her signs. As well, we need to monitor closely as fractures are a worry here. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach to ease her soreness and help her settle. And if she is very sore or isn't improving over the next few days, then we'd want to speak to her vet about those strong dog specific pain relief options to get her back on her feet and feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet