Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My shih tzu has a swollen anal gland and it looks like some

Customer Question

My shih tzu has a swollen anal gland and it looks like some puss/blood is seeping out. I put the "collar" on him that we had from a surgery to keep him for licking his butt. What can I do to ease his discomfort while I wait for the vet to call me back for an appointment?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Me?
Customer: His name is Sketchii. He is 8 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sketchii?
Customer: He had an issue before, and had to have surgery to fix it because it had gotten so bad. I didn't know at the time.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the swelling next to the anal sphincter?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it sounds like your dog has a ruptured anal gland as you have suspected. This is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Great move in putting on the ecollar; leave the ecollar on to prevent him from licking area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the opening 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical cortisone cream or hydrocortisone. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy.

Note: Do not over the counter pain killers, most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use. The topical cortisone will help relieve lots of discomfort.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter