Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog a Yorkie started to have have problems Friday evening

Customer Question

My dog a Yorkie started to have have problems Friday evening passing poo! Saturday evening she still can't go poo! We found a big poo ball stuck to her but her butt whole is now staying open! She is peeing not pooing! What can we do for her? Very slow moving!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
Constipation is unusual in dogs and when present it occurs secondary to either dehydration or ingestion of something s***** *****ke cat litter. There are some things you can try at home but if she is this severely constipated, then she is going to need help from her veterinarian to determine why this happened (why is she so dehydrated) and to get her rehydrated and prescription medication to facilitate passage of the stool, possibly an enema.

If you feel she is not painful, there is no blood around her hind end and she is eating/drinking normally, then if she was my patient and you didn't want to have her seen on emergency today I might recommend you try:

1) Increase her fiber intake. Try adding metamucil granules to canned food (1/4 tsp twice daily) OR give her 1/2 tsp of canned pumpkin two to three times daily.

2) Increase her water intake to help her hydrate. You can use water, low sodium chicken broth (not stock), or even an electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte for kids (non flavored works best).

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.