Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 40kg dog that was given a 15mg meloxicam at 12, and

Customer Question

Hello Pearl,
JA: How can we be of help?
Customer: I have a 40kg dog that was given a 15mg meloxicam at 12, and 1 more at 15mg at 4pm.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: The person that it was tramadol as I was away. He did have some pipestream diarrhea just now but seems otherwise fine . I am very worried
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He does not seem to be
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: The dirrhea . Is this dose toxic to him
JA: Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yeah had 2 of the 15mg meloxicam tabs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Yes, he has hemangiosarcoma
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would prefer the email please instead thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow received multiple doses of Meloxicam tonight.

I am very concerned for him given his age, underlying health issues (hemangiosarcoma) and the high dose he was given.

Does he normally take this medication?

A usual dose in dogs is 0.2mg/kg of body weight and then 0.1mg per kilogram every 24 hours.

He essentially received a dose of 0.75mgs per kilogram of body weight (30mgs/40kgs = 0.75mgs per kg).

Side effects from this high of a dose in a normal dog with normal organ function could range from vomiting and diarrhea to gastric ulcers, possibly perforating, and kidney failure. It can also cause increased bleeding tendencies, just what we don't want to see in a dog with hemangiosarcoma.

I am very concerned about your fellow. I recommend that he see a veterinarian for supportive fluid therapy and gastroprotectants, such as acid reducers (famotidine) and sucralfate. I would want to monitor him closely too for internal bleeding.

I understand that he seems ok now, other than diarrhea, but I am concerned that it may take several days for the full effects of this to be seen, and by then it may be too late to help him.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****