Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog is 16lbs and has not eaten or had anything to drink

Customer Question

my dog is 16lbs and has not eaten or had anything to drink since last night.He has gone to the bathroom twice today and i can hear his stomach growling.
I gave him honey which i had to force in to his mouth
Do i need to take him to emergency care tonight if he does not eat or drink anything soon.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog.

• Can you tell me if he has had any vomiting?
  • Does he have a habit of eating things he shouldn't such as toys, socks,etc.?
  • How is his energy level?
  • Can you look at his gums? Are they pink or pale? Moist or tacky?
  • If you press on his belly, is he painful?
  • Do you have a thermometer to take his temperature?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no vomiting
no he doesnt eat anything except dog food carrots and apples
he was playing about two hours ago and running tired know but that is not unusual
gums are pink and moist
i was rubbing his belly i hear itwas growling but not painfull
i do not have a themometer
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Ok. It sounds as if he is stable now. I worry more about him not drinking than the not eating. Will he let you syringe water into his mouth? You can use a medicine syringe or turkey baster, etc.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
then I am waiting for a response to the answers that I sent to her questions thanks
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can try but it was very difficult for me to get his mouth open to put the honey in.he was fighting it
should i assume he is ok until the morning and if he doesn't eat or drink i should take him in first thing
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

I think if his energy level is ok, his gums are pink, he isn't having trouble breathing, and his belly isn't painful if you press on it, then waiting until morning will likely be ok. If, however, any of this changes, or he starts vomiting tonight, then I would seek emergency care.

Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your questions. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay