Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

I just t my dog. :( I believe s front left paw is broke. Can

Customer Question

I just hit my dog. :(
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: I believe his front left paw is broke. Can not afford a vet.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: With my car. His front left paw seem to be broke. I can not afford a vet.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he almost 6 months old.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize no expert has jumped into answer until now, but this is a tough question. I wish I had good news for you but I do not.

There really is not much you can do at home for this other than encourage him to rest and continue to eat/drink. That is the bad news. First, we need to confirm if the paw is fractured which will require an examination and likely radiograph (X-ray). If fractured, then the treatment depends on what is fractured. In some cases the paw can be splinted with weekly bandaging changes and in others surgical repair is needed. This is NOT a do-it-yourself project at home. Splinting is a technical process that if done incorrectly can lead to significant complications.

There are not any effective and safe over-the-counter pain control products. You cannot use acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen. Aspirin is possible but does not provide good pain relief, especially for a potential fracture. If you would like to try this produce, then visit your nearest pet store and they do sell dog aspirin. It also comes with a high risk for stomach ulceration which is why I am not a fan of this product.