Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I'm ***** ***** I've got a six month old chihuahua, Sounds

Customer Question

Hi I'm ***** ***** I've got a six month old chihuahua
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sounds really daft but I've got ME and a very small vitamin B12 patch that I've had on for 24 hours the dog has eaten It's tiny but will it harm him
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thanks for requesting me.

My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. As far as toxicity goes you have no problem whatsoever as Vit B12 is very non toxic to dogs, in fact they can swallow very large amounts and show no symptoms of any sort.

2. If the patch was very small then again the chances are your dog will not experience any adverse symptoms as the patch will probably just pass through his digestive system without problem. However be aware that though very unlikely indeed in your case there is a potential for a problem to occur due to abdominal tract obstruction where a dog swallows any sort of solid non food item of any sort. So monitor you Chihuahua carefully for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much , this will give me some peace of mind. I have felt terrible about it! X

Hello again,

Please don't worry, the chances are your dog will be just fine. But just in case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if his condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much

.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the vitamin B 12 patch ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott