Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has juvenile cataracts and one of her eyes is almost

Customer Question

My dog has juvenile cataracts and one of her eyes is almost completely blind. The eye that's blind has always been milky white but earlier this week it began to take on a red tint, and seems a little buldgy. Today I noticed it's completely red, and is definitely buldging. I'm concerned but moved away from my regular vet, and most veterinary clinics are closed Sunday. Should I take my dog to the emergency vet or go Monday morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You appear to be describing a lens-induced glaucoma - increased intraocular pressure. Our primary concern is that glaucoma blinds but in this case the concern has to be that glaucoma is quite painful - at least until the increased pressure kills the nerves responsible for perceiving pain. I recommend that an ER vet attend to this eye at your earliest convenience. Medication may be prescribed for the other eye as well in an attempt to prevent glaucoma from developing in that eye. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.