Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog ate blood and bone fertiliser yesterday afternoon and

Customer Question

My dog ate blood and bone fertiliser yesterday afternoon and has been sick all night. Shivering, diahrea and vomiting and in terrible pain. What shoul I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl Holly. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about her:

- If you have the packaging for the fertiliser - can you see the full list of it's composition? I there anything other than blood and bone meal?
- Is she drinking water and able to keep it down?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The fertiliser was in a bucket so I dont know the composition. She appears to have a very dry mouth and is drinking a lot but bringing a lot of it up. She keeps going outside a lot and walking around then dropping on her stomach in the grass. She is in a lot of pain. Was very cold and shivery in the night. Appears worse this morning.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. This ingestion is definitely very concerning. The blood and bone fertiliser itself actually isn't terribly toxic, but the contents (likely just blood and bone meal) aren't 'sterile' so this can often lead to severe gastrointestinal signs (vomiting and diarrhea) similar to food poisoning. It certainly sounds like Holly is having some pretty nasty symptoms right now, and the main concern is that is sounds like she is already quite dehydrated. Dehydration will be the most worrying and life threatening issue here and the fact her eyes are sunken is a pretty good indicator she is pretty badly dehydrated already. Because she isn't able to keep water down, this will just continue as well, so the only way forward from here is to get her down to your local ER vet where they can start her on some intravenous fluids immediately. This will be key in managing her problem. The next step will be to help stop her from vomiting which they can do via the injection of an antiemetic drug.

The symptoms of her dropping her stomach in the grass is a pretty good indicator for nausea and her intestinal tract is likely contracting pretty regularly right now, so she will have some nasty cramps going along with this diarrhea and vomiting - hence the pain.

There isn't really anything appropriate you can give your girl from home right now for these symptoms. Given her apparent dehydration and abdominal pain, the best way forward right now is to head down to your local ER vet right away for those intravenous fluids, an injection to stop the vomiting and some pain relief. As above - it is unlikely the fertiliser is 'toxic' per-se however, the degree of gastrointestinal upset it is causing your girl is definitely making this a life-threatening ingestion. For now, continue to encourage her to drink and hopefully she is able to keep some water down. If you can't get her seen in the next hour or so, that dehydration is really going to become a critical factor her.

Best of luck with your girl and do get her seen right now now. Let me know if you have any further questions. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.