Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

I have a 4 week old puppy who was just started on soft puppy

Customer Question

I have a 4 week old puppy who was just started on soft puppy chow and has vomitted a few times, and who doesn't have a full tummy. His breathing is a little funny sometimes, I think he may have aspirated some of the puppy chow (it was larger pieces that normal). How do I care for him?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He has been healthy up til today - Bernese mountain dog in litter of 8
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 7 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Gabby. Aspirating food is very serious as it causes pneumonia. He would need antibiotics and possible medication to remove fluid from the lungs. So you will definitely need to get a vet involved. Emergency clinics are open 24/7.

If he is wheezing, coughing, very lethargic, or his gums are pale I would take him to an emergency vet right now.

To help keep his blood sugar up, if he is vomiting and not eating, you can rub karo syrup or pancake syrup on his gums every few hours.

To help settle his stomach you can give him pepto bismol. 1/4 teaspoon per 2 pounds of puppy every 8 hours as needed.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?