Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have two puppies, one is bleeding from the rectum, the

Customer Question

I have two puppies, one is bleeding from the rectum, the other one throws up water when he drinks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: both puppies have a umbicial hernia. one is really small the other one is about the size of my thumb.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

How old are your pups, please? If over 2 weeks of age, have they been wormed? If so, which wormer was used? If over 6 weeks of age, have they received any vaccines? Both are showing symptoms of gastrointestinal distress but we can't know if the distress is infection or parasite related. In most cases presumptive worming is performed and prophylactic antibiotic therapy is provided along with supplemental fluid and electrolytes in the form of subcutaneous fluid administration by needle. Keeping them hydrated and electrolyte balanced is most important and so if a fluid/electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte can't be retained because of vomiting, don't hesitate to have a vet provide the fluids parenterally (by needle). Be sure to keep the pups warmed in an 85F environment particularly if they're under 2 weeks of age.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.