Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I took my 74.1 lbs dog to the vet two times upper respitory

Customer Question

I took my 74.1 lbs dog to the vet two times for an upper respitory infection. Never cured last med was zeniquin 100mg one every 24 hours 14 days I'm planning on giving her amoxicillin 500 mg from 2013 (mine) how often should I give it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I don't want to over dose her but I already gave her one some say give 1 a day others say 2-3
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

If I thought that amoxicillin were an appropriate antibiotic for my patient I might dose it at 5 mg/lb twice daily for 10-14 days for a respiratory infection. The two reasons I don't think it's appropriate for your dog is because amoxicillin from 2013 has likely lost its potency and because if marbofloxacin (Zeniquin) - a very potent broad spectrum antibiotic in the fluoroquinolone class - hasn't been helpful, it's unlikely that amoxicillin will be.

Instead, the diagnosis needs to be revisited. X-rays are indicated in case the infection is also in the lower respiratory tract (pneumonia, pleuritis, e.g.) in which case an antibiotic chosen after culture and sensitivity of exudate from a main stem bronchus or trachea tells me which antibiotic is best and is administered for 3-6 weeks. A viral or fungal etiology which wouldn't respond to antibiotics needs to be considered as well. Perhaps infection isn't the problem - a sterile bronchitis (COPD/chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) might be present, for example.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.