Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My mother-in-law dropped a pill (digoxin 0.125MG and my 18

Customer Question

My mother-in-law dropped a pill (digoxin 0.125MG and my 18 month old shih tzu ate it..what should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago ?

How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
within the last 15 minutes. she weighs about 10 lbs
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you still here
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

We do need to act fast if she is that small. This is because it is a very high dose and can cause anorexia, vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and heart arrhythmias (which is the major worry).

Therefore, we need to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, as you can see I didn't leave you but had a lot to type. This is a major worry and we need to intervene now. If you cannot do the above for any reason, then we want her seen without delay so her vet can prevent any issue here.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We were not satisfied with this service at all, took Bandit to emergency and still had to call pet poison hotline so the vet to consult with them for treatment, even though we printed all of this info and took it to the vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

As I am sure you can appreciate, our service has no control over your veterinarian's actions. That is at their discretion and something you would need to discuss with them.

Best wishes to your lass,

Dr. B.