Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Lucy is a 3 y/o beagle. we have been treating her with

Customer Question

Lucy is a 3 y/o beagle. we have been treating her with tramadol and prednisone for 34 days now for cervical disc disease. I was wondering if she can have oxycodone.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the beagle?
Customer: s
JA: Huh?
Customer: s s
JA: Huh?
JA: Huh?
Customer: She has cervical disc disease. she is a lot pain right now as it flares up. she is posturing, panting and trembling. can she have oxycodone?
JA: What is the beagle's name?
Customer: LUCY
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about LUCY?
Customer: No, she has been very healthy till this past month. Our vet says this is a common illness in beagles. He says there is not much more we can do.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What dose of Tramadol and Prednisone is she on?

How much does she weigh?

How long ago were they given?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tramadol 50mg bid, prednisone 5mg bid x 4 days and then daily on Monday. She weighs 23 lbs. meds were given at 5:00 this morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I cannot see your local time zone, so I cannot tell how long ago she has this. In any case and in regards ***** ***** question, Oxycodone could be used instead of Tramadol as long as the preparation contained no acetaminophen (as that is often dosed higher then is safe for dogs). So, if that is what you have and you have not given Tramadol in the past 8 hours, you could potentially use this for Lucy. (A 23lb dog can have 3mg every 8 hours). That said, I would note that since you aren't using Tramadol more then twice daily, this can actually given every 8 hours. So if we are at that safe time frame you could give another dose of that instead.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. I will give her another tramadol.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan of action.

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please rate my recent answer to you. I am grateful for feedback and this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no extra charge to do so). If you have any lingering questions, please just let me know. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)