Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital

She makes a honking hoarse sound when she tries to bark s

Customer Question

She makes a honking hoarse sound when she tries to bark s then it seems it makes her short of breath then she's fine
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: My dog seems hoarse when she barks then pants only when barking otherwise fine
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No looks fine wagging her tail
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoey 9yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoey?
Customer: No
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am Dr Ola B and I am a licensed veterinarian:) Coughing when excited can be related to a number of things but the first to rule out are upper airway disease such as tracheal collapse (more common in small breed dogs) or a heart related condition such as arrhythmia or early signs of heart disease. Does your dog have any additional symptoms related to heart problems such as getting tired easily, coughing, or a blue tinge to gums? Has your dog been in monthly heartworm medication with a current heartworm test?
For now, I would keep Zoey from getting too overly excited until she can be seen by her veterinarian. Most times, a tentative diagnosis of trace has collapse can be given on physical exam and confirmed via chest x-rays. Tracheal collapse is commonly well managed with medications to reduce inflammation related symptoms in upper and lower airway. When she at her veterinarian, other diagnostics can also be performed to rule out problems with her heart (such as blood pressure, ECG, chest x-Ray) in order to get to the bottom of this!
I hope this advice is helpful to you! Please don't forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be excellent! If you have other questions about this, please let me know:)

Hello, just checking in to see how Zoey is doing? If you have other questions, please let me know. If my response helped you, please take the time to rat my answer so I can be credited for helping you and Zoey!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett