Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Our dog woke up in the middle of the night with a dry,

Customer Question

Hi, our dog woke up in the middle of the night with a dry, hacking cough. He coughed up a little saliva in the morning and then stopped coughing for a couple of hours. He still has a little of a dry cough now, though. Our vet cannot see us today and I am wondering what this might be or if there is anything we can do for him. He is otherwise acting completely normal, active and happy. His gums are pink, he is eating and drinking fine. Up to date on all vaccines and had his physical about a month ago and all was well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Has Muttley been around other dogs?
What breed of dog is he?
Any vomiting at all?
Has he been fed this morning?
Any new foods or treats?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Muttley is a Beagle/Shepard mix. We have 4 other dogs. He goes to doggy day care sometimes but has not been there for the past week. Last night I bought the dogs new nylabone chew toys. I did notice he was chewing off some small bits off the end of one so I took it away from him last night before we went to bed. He did eat this morning. There has not been any vomiting, just the little bit of saliva that he coughed up earlier this morning.
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

​So with the information that you gave him a new Nyla bone last night, I can't help but wonder if he scratched his throat when he was chewing on it.

That's actually something that happens fairly frequently with these types of treats....the dog swallows a bit that may have some rough edges, or might swallow a piece that is just a little too big to go down easily, and they irritate the throat.

Since he's otherwise acting normally, isn't turning blue during these coughing episodes, isn't vomiting, seems to be eating and drinking normally, I think I'd just keep an eye on him for now. Don't allow him to have the bone back for a few days to give his throat a chance to heal up.

If the coughing gets worse, or if he starts to turn blue during the coughing episodes, or stops eating, becomes lethargic or has any other odd behaviors, then you may want to consider having him seen by an emergency vet in your area, just to be on the safe side....but if this is just irritation from the Nylabone, it'll resolve on it's own with no issues.

I hope this helps.