Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate some corned beef off my dish. I had mustard and

Customer Question

My dog ate some corned beef off my dish. I had mustard and horseradish on the meat and he started to throw up for some time. Can that hurt him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, this isn't likely to cause any serious harm. Fatty foods can cause GI upset and on some occasions pancreatitis. Still, with the mustard, I do suspect this was what caused his immediate signs. This is because mustard is one of those odd items that used to be used to induce vomiting in dogs.

In any case, if he is still unsettled just now, we can plan to treat him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Further to that and once his stomach is more stable, we can plan to feed small meals of a light diet for the next 24 hours. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and will help keep him settled.

Overall, we'd not expect any major issue here. So, we'd just want to use the above to soothe his stomach and monitor for the next 24 hours. If he keeps vomiting, we may need a check up to rule out pancreatitis and get him treated with injectable anti-vomiting medication. But in most cases, the above will be all we need to settle this for them.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )