Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 12 week puppy and I live in a small remote town

Customer Question

I have a 12 week puppy and I live in a small remote town called Tennant creek in the Northern Territory I rescued the puppy from a aboriginal house she was nearly dead I have been to the local vet here but I'm not sure if she is getting the right treatment my puppy keeps scratching and she has all these sores on her and they look pussy the vet says it's a contact allergy but I just want to know if it's right or not
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Where is Shadow scratching on her body?

Did her vet do any tests?

Did they treat for mites and lice (since she had a tough start)?

What treatment is she on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is scratching under her arms biting feet and legs and scratching her tummy
They did not treat for mites or lice and has had no tests they gave her a cortisone injection and gave her some tablets to stop her scratching
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Did she improve at all to the cortisone or is she still itchy?

Are you seeing any skin changes at those sites (pimples, pustules, crusting, scaling, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has crusty sores and pustules I did take photos
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now allergies do often appear in these locations. We can see contact allergies there when dogs are reacting to something they've been laying on (ie if a bed has been washed with laundry powder or carpet treated with carpet powder). As well, we can see irritation in these areas with dogs that have dietary/protein allergies. That said, both should have settled with the cortisone since that counters the allergic reaction that in turn causes the irritation and itchiness.

With her not having responded, her history, and the pattern of irritation on her inner thigh; I would be way of mites/lice with her. Therefore, if her vet hasn't treated for them, that is a base that should be covered. Especially since they are a differential that we'd not expect to be soothed by steroids. To do so, we can use a multiple species anti-parasitic treatment like Advocate/Advantage Multi, Revolution or Stronghold. Since your vet just saw her and should have a recent weight; they should be able to dispense this for you to treat. Otherwise, we could have them test for skin parasites to confirm our concerns.

Otherwise, if you have been seeing pustules, that is a sign of secondary bacterial infection and that could keep her itching even if we soothe the allergy. Therefore, we'd need to salt water bathe +/- apply an OTC antibiotic cream to any we see. Though if there are quite a few, we'd want her vet to also treat with antibiotics to settle this for her too.

Overall, the pattern of her irritation does raise concerns of a contact allergy but her lack of response to treatment makes other issue a concern. Therefore, given Shadow's history, we'd be best to cover these other angles to ensure we are getting this settled for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.