Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I am very concerned about our dog at the moment. As we took

Customer Question

Hello there I am very concerned about our dog at the moment. As we took him to grooming about 4 days ago and when I was there I saw that a sign there said that parvo is around my area at the moment. And very concerned now as for the last 2 or 3 days he hasn't been eating much at all. And we are not sure if he has blood in his urine either. please help asap
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has Bear been kept up to date on his vaccinations?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any blood in his stool?

Is he urinating small volumes more often? Was he urine red or did you think you saw a bit of blood?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No he is t up to date with his vac. But I didn't know he want up to date till he left grooming at the vet 4 days agoHe has like a pinkish red round the gums where his teeth are. I have t seen him vomiting at all. And I haven't looked at his stools or urine at all so don't know.Haven't seen him licking his lips at all
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Now as you may be aware, Parvo is a very serious virus in dogs. If it is being seen in your area, we will need to make sure he is kept up to date on his vaccines so that he is protected. Otherwise, at the moment, his signs are not suggestive of Parvo. When we have a case, they tend to have severe vomiting and diarrhea with blood. So, we'd not assume that here for Bear at all.

Instead, if there is any suspect blood in his urine and he is under the weather; we'd be more suspicious of a bladder infection. Therefore, we'd want to have him seen and a urine sample tested (you could even have a stool sample tested for Parvo for peace of mind) to confirm this. If present, his vet can dispense antibiotics to clear that for him. And in the meantime, since his appetite is poor, you could try tempting him with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs. There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. And of course, if his bladder is irritated, we'd want to encourage him to drink to dilute his urine and reduce that secondary inflammation.

Overall, Bear's signs are not suggestive of Parvo. If he is older and has had some vaccines in the past, he likely has a moderate immunity to the virus. But we'd want to have this suspect bladder infection addressed just now with a view to vaccinating once its settle to ensure he has optimal protection from Parvo to be safe.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )