Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

He is very, very slow, can not go up or down the stairs ( he

Customer Question

He is very, very slow , can not go up or down the stairs ( he use to fly up and down the stairs)he cries ,small sounds, and he is panic breathing and he's laying down like he is very sick. He was very active before a couple of weeks before . He drinks a loot of water and he pands and totally shakes all the time
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Pepino. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Pepino's recent symptoms are definitely quite concerning and the combination of lethargy, whinging/crying and increased respiratory rate combined could indicate a number of possible issues here including anything from an infectious issue, to an internal organ problem (to name but a few). If Pepino is particularly lethargic, then there is no question - you really do need to get him seen now if you can by your local ER vet. Given he is a relatively small dog and he seems so lethargic, it is better to follow up on this type of issue sooner rather than later. The increased drinking and panting are also a concern and could indicate a potential endocrine issue here as well. Given he has been on prednisone, we also have to consider whether an issue has occurred as a result of this, and endocrine problems can eventuate as a result of longterm steroid usage.

Hopefully he is eating well right now, and although he is drinking a lot - continue to encourage him to drink as much as he wants/needs to, and make sure he has plenty of water bowls available. Don't give any prednisone now unless your vet has instructed you to do so. If you are giving this now, then it is definitely possible the drug has something to do with his symptoms. If you can't get him seen by your local ER vet tonight, then you will need to keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Pepino, and definitely get him seen in the morning if he seems to settle tonight, or if you can't get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pepino. How is everything going?
Pet Doc