Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 14 yo scottie who gets uti's now and then and he

Customer Question

i have a 14 yo scottie who gets uti's now and then and he has one now and i can't get him to a vet - i have cipro on hand but no idea how to dose him
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no its a uti
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

The recommended dose of ciprofloxacin in dogs is 9 - 11 mg/lb once daily. I try to avoid this antibiotic in dogs, however, because the bioavailability varies so dramatically. In one study bioavailability varied between 32-80% and so there was no way to know how much drug actually made it into the dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.