Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Dog has an ear hematoma in ear. and we have her aspirin and

Customer Question

Dog has an ear hematoma in ear. and we have her aspirin and she's on antibiotics the second round after surgery she had a week ago. The ear swelled up again she's in pain and shivering. What should we do. Should we lance the ear with a sterilized needle.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Fregie's ear hematoma situation. What surgery was the previous surgery done on the ear? Did they open up the skin and make sutures to hold the ear layers together? How long ago did they last check her?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
surgery it was for the hematoma and there's stitches still. Ear swelled up she's shivering we age her 3 aspirins today small ones she's about 55 pounds. She's on antibiotics and eat antibiotics.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ear tri otic ointment. Should we lance the ear with a needle it swelled up again.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She didn't go back in for a checkup it's been about a week and a half

That is frustrating. The surgery to place the stitches in the ear is supposed to "tack" the layers of the ear together so that scar tissue can form to then seal the layers together. Typically there is a "drainage" incision made that allows the serum / blood to leak out for a period of time that is needed to allow this scar tissue to form. If it doesn't drain long enough and seals over, it can pocket again despite the tacking sutures. I'm going to say that this is something that you shouldn't try to deal with yourself. In my ER clinic, trying to drain an ear hematoma can be very stressful and painful on a patient. No owner should try this at home on their own pet as it most likely will cause discomfort and not really achieve anything. This needs to be seen by the vet / clinic, that did the surgery so they can adjust to what is happening. Could the ear be having the hematoma again? Could it be an infection at this point inside the ear? These are the considerations I have. Here is a good link on the ear hematoma situation.