Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We have a Minature Doberman who over the last month has been

Customer Question

We have a Minature Doberman who over the last month has been loosing weight and the last couple weeks has been drinking lots of water. Now over the last couple days she won't eat and is shaking. Help please.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello Jacqueline,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Jacqueline,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

While I cannot 100% accurately diagnose your dog's problem via the Internet I can give you the following general information based on my past experience of many such cases over the years. Drinking excessively and a reduced appetite combined with weight loss such as you describe would always be a great cause for concern in the dog, the chances are some serious disease process is causing these symptoms .

What I will do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I commonly see, the chances are the other symptoms you mention are linked to this. This is the personal list I use when presented with a dog like yours, the chances are that the disease your dog is suffering from is here somewhere.

1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
5. Cushings syndrome

Since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. Unfortunately there is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation but a quick blood test will very often shed light on the matter and you can take it from there. If the diagnosis is the likes of diabetes then treatment with insulin may be be possible but other diagnosis such as kidney disease can be harder to treat.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her excess drinking and the other symptoms ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott