Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog just ate a bag more than half full of vitamin c drops

Customer Question

My dog just ate a bag more than half full of vitamin c drops and a roll of menthol cough drops. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is roughly 60-70 pounds and 1.5 years old. Bandit is his name
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bandit?
Customer: No. He seems fine right now and he already ate his dinner for the night.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you continue to respond here that will work just fine for me.Thank you

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. In my experience I would very much doubt if this incident is going to pose any great risk to Bandit in terms of toxicity, however it is possible that he may have an episode of vomiting or diarrhoea because of the sudden intake of an unaccustomed food source.

2. If you want to spare your dog any distressing side effects then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the vitamin drops and cough drops that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things may be fine. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting any odd symptoms occur other than a mild bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bandit is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the vitamin c drops and the cough drops ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers