Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

I think my dog has the flu, he is not as playful as usual

Customer Question

I think my dog has the flu, he is not as playful as usual and he is not eating. He will drink water but I noticed the water turns thick and mucussy once he drinks out of the bowl.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Maxx's troubles. Is he experiencing any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Very little vomiting and no diarrhea
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.

Ok, thank you. Usually increased salivation or slobbering is due to nausea. You can try giving him some Pepto Bismol to see if that helps calm is stomach. The dose is 1 ml per 10 lbs body weight given every 6-8 hours. It's best to withhold food from him for a little while because sometimes the smell of food can increase the nausea. Also, try giving him small amounts of water more frequently or ice cubes so that he doesn't gorge on water and cause more nausea.

Tomorrow you can try him back on a bland diet of boiled chicken or lean hamburger and rice. Offer small meals (1/4 cup) every couple hours. If he isn't eating by Sunday, you can try making a slurry of the chicken and rice and force feeding him just a little bit. Sometimes they just need a little jump start.

If he's not eating by Monday or gets worse in the meantime, it is time for a vet visit. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.

Hi, how is Maxx feeling today?